BEST WATER USE
“Interreg V-A Cooperation Programme GREECE-BULGARIA 2014-2020”
Within the framework of the Interreg V-A Cooperation Program GREECE-BULGARIA 2014-2020, the project entitled «Best Water Use», co-funded by the European Union, is being implemented to improve water management. More specifically, the main priority of the project is the promotion of innovative technologies to improve the protection of the environment and the efficient use of water resources and soil protection.
1. The local schools that will be benefited through the development of comprehensive environmental educational programs which will include information and awareness actions of pupils and teachers
2. The farmers and businesses that will be benefited through the development of the relevant rational water management guides
3. The local stakeholders that will be benefited from the preparation of officials in the management of water resources through the exchange experiences in policy and communication management of urban water and the transfer of available technology and know-how
4. The residents in intervention area who beyond the knowledge, they will also acquire skills and attitudes that will enable them to participate in environmental actions.
Objectives of the Project
The aim of the proposed project is to record, collect and promote those information and data in political, scientific, technological and communication level, that will help local stakeholders, through residents, to optimize their possibilities for action in order to achieve rational and sustainable management urban water, focusing on the need for further information-dissemination-education-awareness of citizens, students and local Authorities, both in saving level of available water resources and to upgrade its quality, and more generally in sustainable management level. The basic design objectives focused on forming an overall educational policy of the local government, which will have three recipients aiming to:
- The preparation of officials in the management of water resources
- The environmental shaping "literate" people who are beyond the knowledge they will acquire skills and attitudes that will enable them to participate in environmental actions
- The development of educational processes through which will promote the comprehensive, systemic and interdisciplinary approach to environmental issues, particularly optimum water management. Developing among students and teachers, personal and collective sense of responsibility for environmental protection and ensuring sustainable living conditions.
Within the framework of project's goals and through the development of educational processes and tools, the project will attempt to stimulate environmental awareness, with the implementation of the following group of actions:
1. Actions contributing to “the preparation of officials in the management of water resources” and concerning to the:
- Development of a local stakeholders’ network from the two participating countries, aiming to exchange experiences in policy and communication management of urban water
- A pilot action launching a label "best water use” that will be assigned in Organizations, Institutions and Schools which implement specific actions and/or use equipment for the rational use of water.
- Development of an on-line networking platform
2. Actions contributing to “the development of educational processes” and concerning to the:
- Development of a comprehensive environmental program in schools and kindergartens, which include information and awareness actions of pupils.
Children will participate in an attempt to prove that using simple ways and more responsible behavior everybody can reduce water wastage. Then, pupils will undertake to sensitize the rest of the school and their parents
- Development of e-tools (e-learning), e-educational material (e-games) and applications for mobiles
3. Actions contributing to “the environmental shaping "literate" people” and concerning to the:
- Recording/survey of household and farmers relationship with water and promotion with detailed evidence of the required steps for the rational use and sustainable management
- Development of the relevant rational water management guides
- Creation of awareness and information campaign
The main results expected to arise form project’s implementation are:
- Citizens with the appropriate responsible environmental behavior, through which they will proceed to actions in order to protect and preserve the water resources and the environment in general
- Children with the appropriate environmental behavior, who when they learn how to conserve water themselves, they will undertake to sensitize their parents and the neighborhood on the importance of water and ways of water saving
- Creation of a network bringing together educational organizations, local authorities and the public, regarding water management issues. Through this network, experiences in policy and communication management of urban water will be exchanged and the available technology and know-how will be transferred among its members (Institutional strengthening). Also, a comprehensive governance and management framework will be provided to local authorities in order to implement effectively and efficiently EU policies, strategies, legislation and commitments relevant to sustainable water management in their areas.
- The promotion of integrated sustainable water management, focused on city water, by training officers of local authorities on the "best use" of water, collected and analyzed through the capitalization of EU best practices.
- Elimination of hazards for public health through a better management of water, increasing the feeling of security of the local populations
The lead partner of the project is ANATOLIKI SA in collaboration with:
- Serres Development Agency SA
- Economic Development Agency Bansko
- Association Eco Neurokop
- Economic Development Agency High West Rodopi
Total Budget: 693.632,50 €
Budget of ANATOLIKI SA: 174.742,50 €
Start Day : 10/2017, End Day : 9/2019.