LOCAL Policies for GREEN Energy
The MED project “LOCAL4GREEN” (LOCAL Policies for GREEN Energy-Green Energy Policies at local level) is an innovative project that supports local authorities-municipalities to define and implement innovative local fiscal policies in order to promote renewable energy sources (RES), in the public and private sector and households. The project is consistent with the framework of Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAP), approved by the Local Authorities by signing the Covenant of Mayors and concerns municipalities that combine urban and rural areas and also islands, where local fiscal policies have a key role in strengthening renewable energy sources. Due to financial and technical constraints of local authorities in such areas, the promotion of RES projects must give priority to cooperation and active participation of the private sector and households. Local authorities’ taxation tools are suitable to contribute to the participation of these stakeholders for the promotion and use of renewable energy.
The main objectives of the project are:
- Promotion of local green fiscal policies, to increase the share of renewable energy in rural areas of the Region of Valencia (Spain), Eastern Thessaloniki (Greece), Lazio (Italy), Algarve (Portugal), North-West Croatia, Slovenia, Cyprus , Albania and Malta
- Support local authorities in designing and implementing these policies
- Monitor the effects of green fiscal policies for the dissemination of renewable energy sources and implementation of best practices to other municipalities, in national and transnational level. As a result, the project will provide to local authorities appropriate fiscal policy models to be included in their own development strategies
Expected impact and long-term benefits:
- Provide technical support to municipalities in rural areas, for implementing sustainable fiscal policies to promote renewable energy sources at local level
- Integration of green local tax systems to implement the respective SEAPs and other pertinent local development projects in order to increase the RES.
- The green fiscal policies will strengthen the involvement of the public and private sector in the wider use of renewable energy and increase the renewable local energy sources share by offering energy savings, a cleaner environment and jobs
Activities / deliverables:
- Project Management Manual and Risk Management Plan
- Digital tools for data collection and processing
- Project Monitoring Guide that will define the indicators to be measured and the impact assessment
- Development of a participatory methodology for the preparation of green local tax policy for the promotion of RES in 8-10 Greek municipalities nationwide
- Application of an online platform for public access to data and the impact of the project
- Planning, Implementation and Evaluation of local tax policies in order to promote renewable energy sources.
- Development of tools for technology transfer at national level
LOCAL4GREEN Partnership: Eleven (11) partners from nine (9) countries:
- Valencian Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (Lead Partner)& MUSOL foundation (Valencia Spain)
- Malta Intelligent Energy Management Agency & Gozo Development Agency - Gozo Regional Committee (Malta)
- North-West Croatia Regional Energy Agency (Croatia)
- ANATOLIKI S.A. (Greece)
- Lazio Region Association of Cities and Municipalities-ANCI LAZIO (Italy)
- Building and Civil Engineering Institute ZRMK (Slovenia)
- CYPRUS ENERGY AGENCY (Cyprus)
- University of Algarve (Portugal)
- ASSOCIATION OF ALBANIAN MUNICIPALITIES (Albania)
In the project participate also 15 associated partners (Municipalities and Public Bodies) of the partner countries (the Municipality of Thermi from Greece)
Project Budget: 2.013.423,15 €
ANATOLIKI’s budget: 178.513,10 €
Project Starts: 1/11/2016, Ends: 30/4/2019.